Thursday 9 November 2017

The end of Qualifying. Who will qualify..? : World Cup 2018 Russia


The end of Qualifying. Who will qualify..? : World Cup 2018 Russia

Well, enough about tickets and travel arrangements, it’s time to look at the World Cup Qualifiers, and who is going to make it into the last 32 teams to play in Russia. So far the following teams have qualified :

Russia / Brazil / Germany / Spain / France / Portugal / Argentina / Mexico / Belgium / South Korea / England  / Nigeria / Columbia / Japan / Costa Rica / Poland / Egypt / Iceland / Iran / Saudi Arabia / Serbia / Panama

From my perspective, the most significant team that is not on that list is the USA, who somehow manage to contrive to throw away their chance to reach the finals with some incredibly poor results in their last few game, not helped by results elsewhere. After having done so well in Brazil in 2014, it feels like a real backward step for US football, and I genuinely hope that they can turn things around over the next few years and make a better fist of it for 2022.

There are however still 9 places left to be taken for next year’s finals, and over the coming weekend the last round of qualifying and knock out games will take place. As is tradition, I am going to try and guess which teams are going to make it through to the finals. The African Conference are playing their last qualifying games to sort out who goes through, and I am going to choose Senegal, Tunisia & the Ivory Coast.

In Europe, there are 4 play-off games taking place, and I have highlighted who I think will go through over two legs below:-

Croatia v Greece / Northern Ireland v Switzerland / Sweden v Italy / Denmark v Rep of Ireland

The 5th place team in Central American Conference, Honduras, are playing off against runners-up in the Asian qualifying, Australia, and I choose Australia to win that one. This is based on nothing more than me holding Honduras accountable for knocking the USA out of next year’s tournament with their ridiculous late goal in qualifying.

Last but not least is my adopted home country New Zealand, (winners of the somewhat farcical Oceania qualifying group), are playing Peru, who finished 5th in the South American Conference. If my heart ruled my head, which it is apt to do on occasion, I would go for New Zealand, but if I really thought they stood a chance, I would have brought tickets to the play-off game and thrown my support behind them. But alas not…. So unfortunately I am choosing Peru to go through.

So there you have it…. I am expecting Italy / Croatia / Denmark / Ivory Coast / Peru / Northern Ireland / Australia / Senegal / Tunisia go through after this round of play-off games…


How will I do….?

No comments:

Post a Comment